Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Friends like you

Olo!

Can I just say that I LOVE these longer days of summer when it stays light out 'til almost 9pm. Not getting off of work until 6pm it is always a drag to drive home in the dark during the winter. Now I get home and it feels like I still have plenty of day ahead of me to get things done, which is awesome. Maybe tonight I'll have to plan on eating dinner outside... possibly even bar-b-que... mmmmm, now that sounds good! LOL! :)

So we've got a Review Preview of the Sweet November June release over on the ATS blog today and any excuse to ink up these new merbabies is A-Ok in my book.

When I was drawing these characters I couldn't help but be inspired by my childhood memories of a cartoon/live action movie called "The Water Babies". They weren't merbabies with tails but they did live under the sea and this boy falls into the water and turns into a cartoon who then meets the Water Babies. I saw this when I was very young, probably about four or five, and for years after I would still hum the 'I coca lorem' song from it and I always hoped that when swimming in the lake I would see a Water Baby or two. I built it up in my mind as being one of the best shows ever so a few years ago I found a VHS copy of it on ebay and I had to get it. OMG I should have left it to my memories because man was that show awful! LOL! The animation was just dreadful and the storyline was painful to sit through. I really couldn't understand why I had loved it so much as a kid. But as bad as I now know it to be I do have to give it credit for sparking my imagination at such a young age.

Ok, that was quite the left turn down memory lane... back to my card, LOL! I decided to pair up Shelly and Pebble for a sweet little friendship card. I found this ooooold but still great KI Memories paper in my stash and I really liked the movement those wavy lines gave to the background so I decided to keep things simple and not clutter it up too much. And it looks like some irresponsible fisherman left a net behind but at least it is all tied up in pretty twine. ;)
The rest is finished off with some shell and starfish shaped brads and some old gelly gems that I found floating around in my gem drawer. I really managed to shop my stash with this card and that, my friends, is a good thing.

You can check out more fab Sweet November cards on the ATS blog today and all of the new stamps are now available here!

Later gators! :) Supply list:
cardstock- Bazzill and Copic X-Press It
paper- KI Memories
stamps- Sweet November (Pebble and Shelly), Inkadinkado (sentiment)
ink- Memento tuxedo black and Colorbox creamy brown
American Crafts tulle
Divine Twine twines
decorative brads
Gelly Gems
Sakura clear glaze and stardust glitter pens
Copic Spica glitter pen
Copic markers:
skin- E000, E00, E21, E13, R00, R20
hair- C5, C7, C9, 100
everything else- YG95, YG97, YG99, B21, B23, B26, B29, B12, YG03, YG25, YG17, B000, B02, B04, B06, Y00, G20

18 comments:

Heidi Brawley said...

OMG This is sooooo darn cute!!! I love it!!!
~Heidi Brawley

cowboydutrem said...

This is a beautiful card!
It often happens to wonder how we could like a show as kids, when we see it again as grown ups...

Nancy Thomas said...

Shopping the stash is definitely a good thing - hmmm....I think I have that paper too! I LOVE the colors in this card - very pretty and fresh looking. Plus the merbabies never looked better.

Brenda said...

So cute!! Love the net and shells at the bottom. Darling images as always!!

Juls said...

so cute!! those little sweeties just go so perfectly with that wavy paper!!! Hugs Juls

gobeagirl said...

Hi Amy. I so agree about the longer amount of daytime. It makes me feel like I actually get a couple extra hours each day. I really enjoyed your story. I don't know the movie your talking about, but I do have couple that I sall when I was little that I thought were just awesome only to wonder as an adult why they even put it on film. lol... I love your card. It was as if the paper was made for your little darlings. Love, love the netting and sea life with it. Have a great day. Hugs, Lisa

Hlora said...

They are so beautiful! Love the blue coloured ties! )) Great striped paper ))

Renkata said...

So darn cute Amy,
love the little embelishments on the ribbon.

Tress said...

Absolutely adorable! Love the blues and greens! And the dark hair on these little cuties!

Rhonda Miller said...

What a cute card. Those mermaids are adorable.

Mimi said...

Adorable!! Fun colors and great sentiment. Merbabies collection is fabulous Amy! ;)

Unknown said...

Awww this is simply adorable, love your paper, and sweet sweet mermaids :) xxx

Lau W said...

Oh yess a BBQ, i love summer !
Your card is so adorable Amy, a nice creation as always !
xxx

Leanne said...

Hi Amy!
So glad you get to enjoy a bit a sunshine when you leave. Here in Cali the sun doesn't go down til about 8:15, if you can believe that. So like you I have been enjoying walking out of the office to sunshine and it does make the mind think you have more time than you think. :) Enjoy the bar-b-q, it's sounds like a wonderful plan. :)
So I got my stamps yesterday and can't wait to play with them. I love this card, it's so fun and inspirational like all of your work. Wonderfully fun card! TFS! ;)

SannaS said...

this is so lovely!! i love the sentiment!! =)
hugs, SannaS

Ingeborg said...

Hello from Holland....love your cards.

Ingeborg

Tasha said...

Oh so cute! Love how oyu coloured them and the funky dp
love tasha xx

RiNNE said...

Love the coloring of their hair and tails! The net and sea shells you have on the bottom is just awesome! So cute, Amy! Wow, the sun in your neck of the woods sets even later than here!!!